Monday, December 1, 2008

Counting Down...

In short days, I'll be reunited with my sister.

I'm mostly excited and strangely nervous.

Indonesia is the first thing she's done without us bossing over her -- and even then, we attempt to lord over her from afar. It will be a unique experience for me to spend ten days with her in the drivers' seat speaking another language, knowing something so well that has nothing to do with any of us.

I'm also slightly afraid that she does crazy things there. And that the mini-Mom in me is going to freakout when I see her driving a motorcycle. In a skirt. Without a helmet.

And also to be filed under unique experiences: Mark and I are attempting this international excursion without checking luggage. The Indian part of me, used to busting zippers and weight maximums to stuff suitcases with mini-candy bars, socks with traction grips and multivitamins, is still in slight disbelief that we were able to accomplish this. And I guess the final proof will be when we end up on the flight with our two bags each without being forced to check anything.

For now, it's all about backpacks, rolled t-shirts and TSA-approved toiletries; a sneaker and a sandal each; and, of course, about 40 granola bars for my sister along with the 2009 Filofax filler papers she asked our mother to send with me. (Along with her Internet access, I'll be investigating exactly what she needs an organizer for, given that she knows about 10 people south of the Equator.)

-N



No comments: